Make an application

We recommended that you read the guidance for applicants and the procedural guidance before making an application for compensation to the Historical Institutional Abuse (HIA) Redress Board.

We understand that making an application may be difficult for you. A family member, friend or colleague may be able to provide you with support. You can access further support services from the office of the Commissioner for Survivors of Institutional Childhood Abuse (COSICA).

You can instruct a solicitor to make an application on your behalf. The Redress Board will pay all costs and expenses. Full details can be found on the legal advice and support section of this website.

You can only make one application for compensation. There are a number of ways in which you can do this.

Online application

Online applications are only available for those applicants who have instructed a solicitor to submit an application to the Redress Board on their behalf. 

Solicitor registration

You must have an NIDA account to complete an online application.

If you do not have a NIDA account you must register an account online.

If you already have a NIDA account, or have created one as per the step above, you must then complete and submit a registration form to enable access to the online application. The Redress Board will aim to process the registration and notify you within two working days.  Please note, you should not attempt to access the online application portal until you receive confirmation that your registration has been processed as this will cause a delay to your registration.

After you have completed the steps above and the registration has been completed you can make an application for compensation, on behalf of your client, via an online application portal. You will be asked to sign into your NIDA account before accessing the application portal.

We recommend that solicitors read the online application guidance and complete the statement of experience template before starting an online application.

Download an application form

If you have not instructed a solicitor, you can make an application for compensation by downloading an application form. You can print this document and complete it offline.

We recommend that applicants read the offline application guidance before completing a downloaded application form.

Once completed you should send your application form and any supporting evidence to:

PO Box 2266

Request a hard copy application form

You can make an application for compensation by requesting a hard copy form from the Redress Board. 

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, there may be some delay in processing your request and sending out a hard copy application form. We appreciate your understanding in these unprecedented circumstances.

We will provide you with a copy of the application form along with application guidance notes which will assist you when making your application. We recommend that applicants read theses guidance notes before completing the hard copy application form.

Once completed you should send your application form and any supporting evidence to:

PO Box 2266

What happens next?

The Redress Board will check the form to ensure that you have provided all of the required information and the necessary supporting materials.

Once your application has been verified, we will then process your claim in line with the procedural guidance.