Frequently Asked Questions

Am I entitled to apply for compensation?

The Redress Board will consider applications for compensation from anyone, or on behalf of anyone, who suffered abuse while a child and while resident in an institution in Northern Ireland between 1922 and 1995 or who was sent to Australia as part of the Child Migrants Programme. 

Can I apply on behalf of someone who has died?

Yes. You can apply on behalf of someone who died on or after 28 April 1953 if you are the deceased’s spouse, civil partner, co-habiting partner, or a child of the deceased but not a step child. 

How do I apply for compensation?

Your solicitor can complete an online application for you or, if you are not legally represented, you can print a hard copy application to complete and return to the Redress Board. You can also get a printed form from the office of the Interim Advocate. We reccommend that you read the guidance for completing an online or hard copy application in advance of starting the process.

Can I make more than one application?

No. You can only submit one application to the Redress Board but this application can relate to your experience in more than one institution. 

If I have already given evidence to the Hart Inquiry do I have to submit further evidence to the Redress Board?

No. If you provided evidence to the Hart Inquiry you are not required to provide any further evidence unless you wish to do so. The Redress Board will obtain a copy of your evidence from the Public Records Office Northern Ireland (PRONI) on your behalf.

Who will decide if I am entitled to compensation?

A Redress Board panel, which consists of one judicial member and two non-judicial members with a health and social care background, will consider your application.    

Will I have to attend a hearing?

Most applications will be determined based on the papers you have provided.  However, in exceptional circumstances, the panel may direct that an oral hearing should take place. If you are legally represented your solicitor may speak on your behalf and you can bring a friend for support. In most cases the oral hearing will be held in private. 

How much compensation will I receive?

If your application is successful, the Redress Board panel may decide to award you a standard payment of £10,000 or an enhanced payment, based on the severity of the matters in your application, of up to a maximum of £80,000. If you were sent to Australia under the Child Migrants Programme and you have not already been awarded compensation under the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) scheme, you will receive £20,000.

How long will it take the panel to decide how much compensation I should receive?

This will depend on the complexity of your case and the volume of applications received. However, the panel may decide to award you an initial payment of £10,000 pending its full and final determination.

How will I know if my application has been successful?

When the panel has made its decision the Redress Board will write to you, and to your solicitor if you have one, to advise you how much compensation you have been awarded. You will have 21 days from the date the letter was issued to accept your award.

What happens if I am unhappy about the decision, either not to pay compensation or the amount of money awarded?

You can appeal the decision of the panel. A single judicial member of the Redress Board will consider the appeal on behalf of the Board and may decide to confirm the decision, reverse the decision or increase or reduce the amount of the award of compensation.    

Do I need to be legally represented?

No. However, a solicitor will be able to help you complete your application form.

Will I need to pay legal costs?

The Redress Board will pay your legal representative his/her costs in accordance with the provisions set out in the Rules (see in particular the tables of scale costs in the Schedule).

How do I contact the Redress Board?

PO Box 2266